Municipal Governance Consultant
Steve has over 25 years of combined experience in many capacities such as Emergency Services, Mayor / Councillor and extensive board, committee, and commission appointments in the City of Lacombe. His knowledge and experience continued to grow at all levels of government while he advocated provincially and federally, as a Director and Vice President of Alberta Municipalities and as a Director for the Federation of Canadian Municipalities (FCM).
He is acutely aware of the challenges that municipalities face and is dedicated to finding solutions to overcome any obstacle that stands in the way of good governance.
With this experience added to his private sector positions, Steve will bring a multifaceted approach to meet the needs of our clients.
Years of Experience
Certified Local Government Manager (CLGM)
- Mayor, two terms, City of Lacombe
- Councillor, two terms, City of Lacombe
- Chaired the North Red Deer River Wastewater Services Commission which secured $71 million of Provincial/Federal funding to construct a wastewater pipeline between Lacombe, Blackfalds, and Red Deer. That resulted in on-time and under-budget delivery; Project received multiple municipal/engineering awards.
- Firefighter / Lieutenant, twelve years, Lacombe Fire Department
- Director / Vice President, Alberta Municipalities, Alberta
- Director, Federation of Canadian Municipalities, Canada
Governance & Work Experience
- 2020 – 2023 – General Manager Doors on Demand, Lacombe
- 2020 –2020 – Manager of Real Estate, Akamihk Kanataskiy Ventures, Montana First Nation, Maskwacis
- 2017 – 2020 – Business Development Manager, Scott Builders, Red Deer
- 2007 – 2017 – Insurance Broker, Sims and Associates Insurance, Lacombe / Maskwacis
- 2004 – 2017 – Councillor / Mayor, City of Lacombe
- 1998 – 2010 – Volunteer Firefighter, City of Lacombe
- Queen Elizabeth ll Platinum Jubilee Medal
- Queen Elizabeth ll Diamond Jubilee Medal (Office of the Premier)
- Emergency Services Medal